Sunday, August 15, 2021

1923 Heisler at the Southeastern Railway Museum

When I first saw this train at the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth, Ga, I had no idea what to make of it. I mean it almost looked like it was incomplete.



I didn't see any pistons connecting to the drive wheels so I had no idea how this thing even moved. 


Then I read the sign:



Wait, geared? The first thing I thought of was how Shays operate, but I didn't see anything on either side. Then I looked underneath and saw that the gears were located centrally beneath the locomotive:






There was even a builder's schematic which made it all the more clearer:


I love when I come across the unexpected and learn something new about trains. This train was just too cool and the first of its kind I have ever seen.



Because, antlers


********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment