Monday, August 16, 2021

1948 Porter 0-4-0F (#8172) in Gadsden, AL

We finally left the state of Georgia and crossed the border into Alabama. When I plan these road trips I want it to be a quick stop and then move on so I try to get all the details I can on a train location, especially if it is in a generic area instead of a local park, chamber of commerce, etc. Well for this train, Google maps gave me this:



I circled what I assumed was the train. Then I went to street view...


Uh oh. Security gates. And it's a power plant. Probably not somewhere that would welcome visitors. In my head I made up this whole conversation I would have with the guard at the gate (including leaving Sarah behind as collateral) that would allow me to get in, snap some pics and leave.

Well the time finally arrived as we got to the gate on a late Friday evening (and running ahead of more thunderstorms), just to find...it closed. And no one at the gates to negotiate with.

I took what pics I could from the street and moved on. It counts I guess, but I was irritated that it was a fireless and I haven't seen many of those.




********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment