Saturday, August 14, 2021

1894 Cooke 4-6-0 and 1909 Porter 0-4-0 in Griffin, GA

Ok, now these trains were an adventure to say the least. Before leaving for vacation I had typed out an itinerary to help me find where the trains would be (and because I'm a bit of a nerd). I use the locomotive steam train database to see if anything is near my route. Most of the time they are in parks (#Heritage) or by the chamber of commerce or whatever. Our first stop was a 1906 Baldwin in Macon, GA.

Now these particular trains were supposedly at a museum that was now defunct. What that meant I didn't know. I put the address into Google maps, but it didn't help at all. Just showed me some trees.

Then I hit the aerial view:




That kinda looked like a train in the middle of that field. Channeling my inner Scuttle, it looked like I was going to have to be a little intrepidacious. I had hoped to drive down that road, pull out into the field, snap some pics and leave. But, no:


Well, what's an adventure without a little risk right? Further up that road in the treeline was another gate that I may have jumped to get these pics and video:



********************************************************************************

1909 Porter 0-4-0





1892 Cooke 4-6-0







********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment